- regio: Swartland
- uitmuntende wijn van David & Nadia!
- toetsen van gedroogde kruiden, olijven, zoethout, rood en zwart fruit in de neus, aardse ondertoon
- zeer sappig en hartig in de mond, stevige maar fijne tannines
- commentaar wijnmaker:
- It took almost 10 years before this dream could come true, one that was shaped by the reality of farming in the Swartland, its droughts, our love for a specific red variety and acknowledging historic legwork already done in our country since the 1950’s. This dream we are sharing with you by releasing a first time ever Grenache lead Elpidios from the 2017 vintage. Made in similar fashion than our main Grenache in terms of long, gentle extraction, the use of 50% on average whole bunches, pressed off and matured partially in bigger format vertical foudré and old 500 L neutral French oak barrels. Matured for a year before bottling and then matured in bottle for 18 months before release. All new Elpidios blends to be released from our cellar in the future will be Grenache lead. Again, based on grapes grown in granite soils from the Paardeberg, blended with structured shale/schists from the east, clay from the north and iron mixed soils from the west.
- Tim Atkin: 96/100
- 2017 is the first vintage of Elpidios that is Grenache based (31%), with support from 30% Syrah, 19% Carignan, 10% Cinsault and 10% Pinotage. Reflecting the grape's reputation as the "Pinot Noir of the south", this is wonderfully aromatic, subtle and refined, with sculpted tannins, bright acidity and plum, cherry stone and raspberry fruit. 2020-27